UMEP/ Tutorials/ SUEWSSpatial Part1
This is the first tutorial of three where you will examine climate related spatial characteristics of a heat wave event in New York City (NYC), US using data available form different open data sources online. Furthermore, various planning measures will be analysed with regards to heat mitigation within the study area chosen.
In this first tutorial you will prepare the data needed to perform the analysis.
The preparation include three steps:
- Identifying a heat wave event for NYC and prepare meteorological forcing data for the time of interest
- Preparing a digital elevation model (DEM) digital surface model (DSM) including both ground and building heights.
- Preparing a land cover dataset suitable for the analysis
- Reformat the data to be able to be used by the SUEWS-model.
Figure 1 shows a flowchart of all the steps that will be preformed to accomplish the task at hand.
FIGURE 1 HERE. CLASSIC FLOW CHART:
1. Identifying a heat wave and preparing meteorological forcing data